National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of
Sign Language Laboratory
Sign Language Laboratory of the Institute of Special Pedagogy of the Ukraine’s APS – the scientific-research establishment for studying theoretical and practical problems of basic pedagogical and linguistic study of national sign language, functioning and usage of sign language in conditions of bilingualism. As a structural subdivision of the Institute the Laboratory of Sign Language was founded in 2006 upon the initiative of the USD.
The main directions of the Laboratory’s scientific exploration activity are the following:
- development of scientific-linguistic issues for the study of sign language (selection of samples of the Ukrainian Sign Language among the non-hearing native speakers and their analysis);
- development of theories and methods of sign language usage in the non-hearing persons’ education;
- analysis of modern tendencies in the sign language;
- development of principles of selecting and structuring the educational material for the course "Sign Language” – for the special preschool establishments for hearing impaired children;
- introduction of its scientific investigation results into practical education and bringing up the deaf and hard of hearing children, including selection and publication of scientific research works;
- development of new approaches, work methods in qualification retraining courses, based on basic study of the sign language, for sign language teachers, teachers of different educational establishments, sign language interpreters; the Laboratory’s academics’ involvement as native language speakers into the USL teaching process.
The Laboratory maintains good partners relationships with the international and foreign friendly organizations: Western-Canadian Centre of Studies in Deafness of the Alberta University, the Ukrainian Resource Centre of the Grant MacUen College (Canada, the city of Edmonton); Scientific-Methodical Centre of Social-Pedagogical Problems in Teaching the Deaf and of Sign Language (Russia, the city of Moscow); the Laboratory on National Sign Language Study within Minsk State Pedagogical University (Byelorussia, the city of Minsk); Ukrainian-Canadian Alliance for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (UCADHOH) (Ukraine, Kyiv).
The Laboratory’s main achievements:
- the practical scientific workshop "Sign Language in the educational establishments for the hearing impaired children”;
- two weeks qualification retraining courses on basics of the Ukrainian Sign Language were organized for the first time on grounds of CIPPE for junior classes sign language teachers and tutors of special general education schools for persons with hearing disabilities (2006);
- the selection of the USL’s samples was initiated for their further analysis and study in the context of linguistics;
- since 2007, 2008 two weeks qualification retraining courses have been held on the basics of the sign language - for the teachers of Ukrainian Language and Literature in special general education boarding schools for the children with hearing disabilities;
- introduced in the curriculum to "Ukrainian sign language" in special schools for deaf and hard-hearing children.
The Laboratory’s scientific collaborators and postgraduates:
Kulbida Svitlana –
Bachelor of Education, the senior academic of the Laboratory. The
Adamyuk Natalia – the scientific collaborator and experienced sign language teacher with up to 20 years of pedagogical record? Sign Language native speaker. Scientific interest embraces the task of wide implementation of Ukrainian Sign Language (USL) in all educational establishments, the improvement of status of the non-hearing teacher in the educational-tutorial process as socially consistent sample for copying; selection of USL’s samples from the non-hearing communicators.
Drobot Olena – the scientific collaborator and an experienced sign language pedagogue. Her scientific interests are closely connected with her professional ones: retraining of the quality of knowledge, brining up in the deaf preschool children the required abilities and skills of native sign language users, and also research of questions’ development arising during the bilingual education in the preschool establishments of the children with hearing disabilities; the author of the methodical textbook "To Parents of a Non-Hearing Preschool Child” (2006).
the scientific collaborator, a sign language speaker. An Honorable Workwoman of
Ivanyusheva Natalia –
the scientific collaborator, the sign-language interpreter and finger-speller
of the highest category with 50 years of work record. An Honorable Workwoman of
Zborovska Natalia –
the younger scientific collaborator, vice-president of the
Kamenska Natalia –
the Laboratory’s postgraduate, the President of the
Vorobel Galina – the Laboratory’s postgraduate. She is exploring the complex system of formative-rehabilitation functions of the educational establishment for the children with hearing impairments "School-Kindergarten”.
Lopatko Lyubov –
the Laboratory’s postgraduate. Investigates problematic peculiarities when
teaching the non-hearing students in high schools of
Zamsha Anna - the scientific collaborator, master of psychology, a practicing psychologist. She is studying the outstanding characteristics of deaf and explore psycholinguistic particular qualities of sign language.
1) Ivanyusheva N., Kulbida S. Ukrainian Sign Language Alphabet. – Kyiv, 2005. – 64 pages.
2) Drobot O. To the Parents of a Non-Hearing Preschool Child: Methodical Recommendations. – Chernigiv, 2006. – 32 pages.
3) Sign Language and Contemporaneity: Selection of Scientific Research Works. – Kyiv, 2006. – 176 pages.; Kyiv,2007. – 284 pages; Kyiv, 2008. – 192 pages.
4) Vorobel G. Educational programs of 5-12 classes within special schools for children with hearing. - Kyiv, 2008. – 94 pages.
5) Kulbida S. Ukrainian Dactylology. – Kyiv, 2007. – 256 pages.
6) A child is from the world of quiet: for help the parents of deaf child. – Kyiv, 2008. – 184 pages.
7) Сonception of Sign Language.- Kyiv,2009. – 24 pages.
8) Collection of the programs is from bases of study of Sign Language for sign-language interpreter and teachers special school is for deaf children. – К., 2008. – 432 pages.
office 216, Laboratory of Sign Language.
(044) 440-42-92 (registry switchboard + No.108 for connection)